Sunday, November 13, 2011

#winning

Well, I should be studying....
But even though my prescribed Adderall should have kicked-in by now, I just can't bring myself to focus because of a sort of thought or observation I made today. So, this I why I blog today.

Living in an individualistic culture it seams everyone is all about winning, being number 1; the best.
But what defines winning?
I mean, for example today the University of Arkansas was put in the #6 spot on the BCS college football team rankings and every Arkansas fan I know has been all abuzz on how great that is...but we aren't winning. We aren't number 1. So why are we celebrating?
Another example would be when my sorority placed 3rd in the last held AKA and APhiA Unity Step Show. We did not win, but we took it as a victory.

Why do we settle? Better question would be why is winning so longed for but hardly ever achieved?
Are we not just setting ourselves up for failure? Winning is hardly possible for anyone all the time.

So maybe an analysis of our culture of #winning should be reconstructed.
Why is everything a competition anyways?
Why can't we feel good about ourselves for just being the best "we"(we meaning universal we, meaning team, individual, country, etc...) can bee/are?
It's not settling if it's all we can possible do....
Maybe supconsciencely we do this anyways? I mean, if we didn't no one would be celebrating a #6 ranking or getting 3rd place in a competition.

But why then are we constantly fed the idea that we MUST be number one?
Think about it this way....if there can only be one winner, then our country/our world is made up of mainly losers....How can one thing truly be #1if it is composed of people who are use to "failing?"

Perhaps we should not compare ourselves to other countries then...Lets get the log out of our own eye first.

But enough politics...
Let's stop this whole #winning because let's face it, "losing" is just what we're best at. #justsaying

No comments:

Post a Comment