Monday, June 13, 2011

Age Aint Nothin' But A Number

BEFORE YOU READ THIS : please take the time to click "follow" and you can just sign in with your twitter name and password..yes its that simple. please please please. I'd just really appreciate the support.


So today at work we had this meeting all day long. It was a great learning experience for me...but that's not what I'm addressing today in this blog here today.
So anyways, back to being at the meeting....
Sometimes I forget how "not old" I am...meaning I am not young either, just not old. But I also forget I'm not as old as I feel. Which is about 28. I mean I've lived a lot of life. (For those of you who care I'll be 21 in 18 days)
But anyways...
 Looking around the room, I am reminded that I am the youngest person at the state agency I work at. I mean the next youngest at this meeting is about 7 or 8 years older than me.  Also, everybody at this meeting have kids.
So anyways as I'm eating my little oranges that were provided, I over hear two other employees talking about hot flashes and others talking about the joints and places on their bodies that hurt. And of course the line "Well, way back in the day..." is thrown out a few times. So then one of the ladies talking about her pains turns to me and says, "See what you have to look forward too? This is comin'."
I was taken back a little bit. I don't ever really think about how my body is going to deteriorate as I get older. To me, that's just part of it....I guess I just accepted it along time ago and moved on. But nonetheless that's why we have great modern medicine...and anti-aging cream.
Age is what our body does. But with age comes wisdom.

Wisdom is what I want.

I like the idea of being able to help others with their problems based upon my own wisdom.

Solomon was on to something.

Now, that being said...just because you are older doesn't mean you are necessarily wiser. I mean I know someone who is close to 70, and they are as far from wise as the moon. Wisdom does not come with the number on your birthday cake...it comes from having open hearts, open minds, and open doors to taking opportunities and risks (sound familiar fellow Methodist...haha).

Acknowledging first that we are not wise is the first step to becoming wise. If we step back and realize we don't know what to do in an situation, we can then better learn what to do through trial and error, both our own and of those around us on what to do the next time...

Listening is another way to gain wisdom...like, truly listening and understanding. If we are able to absorb what those that have gone through certain situations, we don't have to make their mistakes and/or we know what to do without making our own.

You also must know yourself before you can achieve wisdom. How can you better yourself, if you
don't even know who you are?

I personally am looking forward to getting older. I am excited to see what life has in store for me.
I don't care if I am going to feel a little sore now and again or get hot real quick all of a sudden, it's a price for something better that riches; wisdom. That's not to say I am not going to get my hair enhanced once it shows the dreadful grey hair....But getting older and wiser does come with more responsibilities...but there some great responsibilities I am so excited for. Things like marriage, children, owning a house and having steady employment are responsibilities and opportunities for wisdom that I look forward to taking on.
Have a wisdom filled day. :)

Now, off to change that world.

No comments:

Post a Comment